seconda serie Corno 1982 – 83
Questa seconda, forse superflua e pleonastica ma ugualmente affascinante e pregevole, serie Corno di CAP ristampa materiale già pubblicato in precedenza, proseguendo la (ri)proposta cronologica del personaggio dal punto in cui si era interrotta su Capitan America Gigante n.14.
ALBO DEL 1982
CONDIZIONI OTTIME, PICCOLO SEGNETTO A BIRO NEL RETROCOPERTINA, LIEVISSIME IMPRESSIONI DA CORDA NEI PUNTI CARDINALI
“Power to the People / POTERE AL POPOLO (1a parte)
- Leila Taylor
- Jody Casper (Falcon’s nephew)
Captain America, the Falcon, Agent 13 (Sharon Carter) and Nick Fury returning to New York City, by way of a secret entrance in New Jersey. They eventually pop up into the New York barber shop that’s a S.H.I.E.L.D. front.
Cap returns to his secret identity, Steve Rogers, a New York policeman, and reports for duty, where the police commissioner assigns him to assist Rev. Garcia. who runs a Boy’s CLub in Harlem. The Falcon also switches to his secret identity, as Sam Wilson, Social Worker in Harlem.
Sam is soon approached by Leila, a black militant from Harlem, and also someone that is attracted to Sam, as he is to her! She drags him to a meeting of the People’s Militia, where they witness men in hooded masks rallying the people of Harlem to riot! Starting with Rev. Garcia’s Boy’s Club! Sam tries to present the opposite point of view, but is beat up for his troubles.
Only through the help of Liela is Sam saved from being beaten to death. She argues that he can be used to talk to the whites, that they’ll listen to him, even when they won’t listen to the People’s Militia! The masked leader agrees, and Sam is dumped in front of his apartment, just as Steve and Sharon walk by on the way to a date!
Sam manages to tell Steve of the danger to Rev. Garcia before passing out.
Chapter two begins with Steve, in his Captain America identity, crashing in on the attack on the Boy’s Club and joining in battle!
The scene shifts back to Sam’s apartment, where Sharon has stayed to look after Sam. Leila arrives and sends Sharon on her way, saying sharon should go and take care of her own and that’s she’ll stay and take care of her own!
Sam awakens, and has strong words with Leila, causing her to storm out. He switches to his Falcon costume and races to the Boy’s Club. Now with two super-heroes and Rev. Garcia, the tide is finally turned! The Falcon convinces the People’s Militia to give them an hour to try to resolve the issues, and if they can’t he would voluntarily join up with them!
Cap America and the Falcon swing back into action, bringing the fight to the People’s Militia’s headquarters, where the masked and hooded men hold congress! During their fight, the masks and hoods are torn from the bad guys, revealing them to be white and not black as the People’s Militia were led to believe!
Chapter three begins with the revelation that the hooded leader is none other than … The Red Skull!
He leads the heroes, as well as, Leila and Rafe, an outspoken black man into a trap. Cap is able to use his shield to get Rafe and Leila out of the trap and then turn to battle the Red Skull once and for all.
The Red Skull actually gets the better of them and escapes with his life, but Cap and the Falcon also manage to escape the trap alive, as well.
Continued to next issue…
- This issue is a 25 Cent “Giant”, 34 page story.
- Chapters 1: Power to the People / POTERE AL POPOLO is 15 pages; Chapter 2 Burn, Whitey, Burn! / BRUCIATE, BIANCHI, BRUCIATE ! is 11 pages; Red Skull in the Morning, Cap Take Warning / ATTENTO AL TESCHIO ROSSO ! is 8 pages.
- Rafe Michel, a black activist, petty criminal and leader of the Silver Skulls is introduced in this issue. He will continue to appear off and on in this title until his death in Captain America #178 (in Italy in CAPC #90). Rafe’s last name is revealed in Captain America #151 (in Italy in CAPC #63).
- Backgrounds are probably inked in this issue by Tony Mortellaro (uncredited).
- Captain America helps the Avengers in Amazing Adventures #8 (in Italy in THC #59-60) and then participates in the Kree-Skrull War (Avengers #93/97, in Italy in THC #108/111), then makes a brief appearance in Iron Man #44 (in Italy in URC #133) shortly after this story.
- The Falcon appears on the cover of this issue in his new red outfit. However, he does not appear in the new costume until next issue Captain America #144.